Monday 20 June 2016

Book Talk - The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

I was at my local bookstore a while ago to study for final exams with Pegasus. I didn't think I would actually buy a book, but this one caught my attention. I had heard about it before, and the summary sounded intriguing, so I bought it!

The Girl On The Train is one of my first mystery books, and I really enjoyed it. It's absolutely one of my favourite books.

In this book, a girl takes the same train to work everyday. Everyday, from the window of the train, she watches the same couple on their terrace. She sees them so much she even feels like she knows them. Then, one day, she sees something impossible to ignore. She cannot keep her discovery to herself, and so she tells the police. Yet they do not think she is reliable. Soon she is entangled in the investigation and the lives of everyone involved in it.

The characters in this story were very complex, Rachel especially. Nothing about her character is really likeable, given that she is an insane alcoholic, but for some reason I liked her. She was so complex and seemed so real. I was able to relate to her and really liked her as a character. Logically, I should prefer Anna, right? She has her life together and has a happy family. Yet throughout the whole book I preferred Rachel, which was quite interesting.

This book was very hard to put down. I read it whenever I had time. It was fast paced, and I liked that it was broken up into days and different times of day. It kind of reminded me of a diary, which was a neat aspect. The end of the book left me thirsting for more, which wasn't necessarily a good thing. Yes, there was an ending, everything was resolved, but I wanted to know what happened to the characters afterwards. Like Scott. What happened to him afterwards?

I love how each piece of the story unfolded one by one. It was a very well put together mystery book. I'm going to give this book 4.5 stars. It was pretty fantastic! It is more of a mature read with quite a bit of swearing and such, so if you're a younger reader I wouldn't recommend this book to you.


If you're looking for a fast-paced mystery book to read, I highly suggest picking this one up.

As always, thank you so so much for stopping by! Have an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment